Art imitates life... this blog is about the experiences and the people that shape my life and inspire my designs.
To view the complete Fashletics Jewelry Collection please visit www.fashletics.com. Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Fashlete of the Month: Sheron Smith

The Athlete Within

If Sheron Smith does not inspire you to conquer your goals in 2011 then I don't know who will. Sheron is a hero (though she is so humble I doubt she would ever admit it).  I am very excited to take this opportunity to share Sheron's story with you and give her a much deserved moment in the spotlight. 

If you read this and it strikes a chord I urge you to leave a comment here for Sheron to read. A little bit goes a long way and even a few kind words from a total stranger are extremely powerful.  Trust me, after you read this you will want to give Sheron a big hug, a pat on the back, a standing ovation... but since we are all hanging out here in cyberspace you can give her the next best thing... a "virtual high five" in the form of a comment on this post.  :)  Enjoy!

Then (2007) & Now (2011)
My name is Sheron Smith. I am a mother, a grandmother, a wife. Until a few years ago I was on a downhill spiral of self-destruction. I was morbidly obese and my health was quickly becoming a problem.


The realization that I needed to drastically change my life hit me quite abrupt. I stepped on the scale on August 1st, 2007 and it broke at 300 pounds. I sat on the bathroom crying mostly out of shame but also out of despair! I didn’t know what to do or where to start but at that moment I knew that if I were to continue living I needed to do something.

January 7th is my anniversary. No it is not my wedding anniversary but an important one nonetheless.  On January 7th, 2008 I made a commitment to turn my life around and become a healthier, happier person. On that day I walked into a local gym and joined over one hundred other people signing up to participate in a “biggest loser” contest.

My life-changing journey technically began in August of 2007 when I weighed over 300 pounds. I began walking at a nearby community track with some friends and by the first official weigh in of Hanover’s Biggest Loser Contest I weighed in at 269 pounds, having already lost over 40 pounds.

I had never been in a gym before and found it all very intimidating. The people, the machines, the lingo were all foreign to me.  Dan Sell, who was running the contest and at that time was the General Manager of the gym taught me how to use some of the machines. His enthusiasm for fitness was contagious and was just the boost that I needed to get me started.

I also worked with a nutritionist, Brandy Schuster. Brandy taught me how to “listen to my body” and how to eat healthy.

As I began to lose weight I wanted more. I worked out harder and longer and craved an intensity that I could not satisfy in the gym.

As the weeks went by there were so many highs and lows. As I lost pounds and my body began to change on the outside it also began to change on the inside. Hormones were out of control and emotions were always on high alert! My team mates and I often joked about how we shared “blood, sweat and tears”! During those 6 months my way of thinking changed and I knew that I had made a lifestyle change. I became focused on taking this journey to the end!

Half her size!
The contest ran for six months and I finished in 10th place, weighing 213 pounds. I did not win the contest but I felt like a winner. I had gained some self-respect. I had motivation. I had found a great support system. I was on a mission and I was not nearly finished! I wanted more. It was at this time that Dan began coaching a Boot Camp. I so desperately wanted to try it but feared I would not be able to keep up with the group. It was tough and I struggled but did not quit. I found a part of me that I didn’t know existed. I loved the intensity of the Boot Camp workouts and I still wanted more.

Dan left his position at the gym to open his own and for a few months while he looked for a suitable space I worked out in his garage.  In March of 2010 Dan opened CrossFit Hanover.   I have learned so much since I began CrossFit. I joke that Greg Glassman invented CrossFit just for me. CrossFit has taught me how to deal with stress. There is nothing better after a stress filled day of daycare than to swing a 16# sledgehammer at a tire or flip a tractor tire for a mile. Pushing prowlers, doing kipping pull-ups, dead lifting chains, or swinging a Kettle bell………….have all made me stronger, has increased my endurance and has made me extremely happy. I always say that the best WODs are the ones that leave me breathless on the floor when I’m finished.

The CrossFit community has become my family. I have made many good friends at the Hanover box and have made many friends at the four nearby boxes that I have visited.

There's no stopping her now!
My accomplishments are far beyond anything I could have ever envisioned. I rode a 75 mile bike ride for MS. I did “Grace” for Barbells for Boobs two times. Last month I reached my goal for 2010 by dead lifting 251#. But my biggest accomplishment of all has been to cut my initial weight in half. I have become healthier and happier! It hasn’t always been easy and there have been many road-blocks along the way but with the support from my CrossFit friends and Dan’s never ending patience and guidance I travel on.  I am not sure where or how my journey will end but for now I am happy to just enjoy the moment.
  
Sheron is receiving this customized gift from Fashletics as a thank you for sharing her story and inspiring others. Sheron chose to have the word INTENSITY to be inscribed on this sterling silver charm. She says that has been her word all along... and it has clearly served her well!  Congratulations Sheron!


Check out Sheron's blog for more about her weight loss journey, nutrition and fitness tips, and plenty of motivation.  http://next-level-weight-loss-support.com

Don't forget to leave a comment below for Sheron to read!! 

Who will be February's Fashlete of the Month? Email your story or nominate a friend. Submissions can be emailed to sarah@fashletics.com

5 comments:

  1. Sheron - your story is incredible! Congratulations on your amazing journey, you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheron, Words cannot express how happy I am for you and how proud we are of you! You are in inspiration to many. Congrats on your choice to make a change (your begining), the progress you have made (your travel) and the goals you have reached (the end--the end of one goal and the start of a new one). Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Thank you for sharing your story. Congrats on all your accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete