Art imitates life... this blog is about the experiences and the people that shape my life and inspire my designs.
To view the complete Fashletics Jewelry Collection please visit www.fashletics.com. Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Super Awesome Ceviche w/Watermelon Juice

I've been living in Miami now for 4 years so I figured it was time to try out a ceviche recipe. This is a recipe from Chef Patricio Sandoval of Mercadito that was featured in Dining Out Magazine. (He sounds super fancy but trust me, if Sarah Wilson from Surfside can handle this so can you!) Chef, you had me at "watermelon"...

Ingredients - Watermelon Juice:
  • 3 c watermelon
  • 1 c lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp yuza juice (I have no idea what this is and I'm pretty sure they don't sell it at Publix so I didn't used any)
  • 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
  • 1 Tbsp chopped shallots
  • 1 tsp chopped garlic
  • 1 tsp honey
  • salt to taste (didn't use any salt, didn't miss it)
Ingredients - Ceviche:
  • 1 red snapper fillet cleaned and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. (I used Covina. I could only find whole red snapper and as much as I support the "Cavewoman" lifestyle, I'm just not into cleaning fish myself. Any firm fish will do. I also added shrimp.)
  • Freshly squeezed lemon juice, enough to cover the fish. (I used lime... for no particular reason)
  • 1 cup red tomatoes, small dice
  • 1 cup white onion, small dice
  • (I added 1 cup red onion - only because I swear I saw it on the list. It's not, I was seeing things but it turned out to be a nice addition.)
  • 1 cup watermelon, small dice
  • 1 Tbsp cilantro, minced
  • 1 tsp serrano chile, thinly sliced (I used jalapeno because that's what I had on hand.)
  • watermelon juice 
Method - Watermelon Juice: Blend all ingredients in blender and strain. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Method - Ceviche: In a non-reactive bowl (ceramic for example) marinate fish in lemon (or lime) juice for 4 hours or until the fish turns into an opaque color.  I also added a little fresh grapefruit juice. I was feeling sassy. Discard the juice when done.  In a separate bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients except the watermelon juice.  Add the fish, the watermelon juice, and any desired garnish. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Enjoy with friends.

1 comment: